4/14/09

Personal Progress

I have the fortunate opportunity to serve in the Young Women's Organization, and I've finally started doing the personal progress goals again. It's been over ten years since I was in YW myself, and these goals are a perfect refresher. It's making me miss seminary and religion courses, but it's helping me improve my gospel study, something I desperately needed. For most of the goals, I need to write my reaction to the goal in the journal. As this is my current journal, and likely the one that I'll keep up with, I've decided to write my experiences here. Nick helped me with the two goals I'm going to discuss here on our way home from Wyoming a couple of weeks ago. I loved his insight and especially that he was willing to share with me his view of the topics.

Faith #2 - This goal is based on mother's teaching faith to their children. When I think of all the things I want my girls to know, this is probably the most important aspect they need in their lives. Without faith, where are we? That said, it's rather daunting to think of how I can teach such faith to them. As Nick and I discussed this, we talked about how children learn through example. I need to give my girls a chance to see me demonstrate my faith. Honestly, there's plenty of room for improvement. I want them to know that I love my Savior and Father in Heaven. I want them to see my love for the scriptures and for our modern prophets and apostles. Mostly though, I want them to know I have faith in Christ by seeing my actions especially in regards to the way I treat them. They are such important people and I see such greatness in them. I need to show my love for my Savior through the ways I treat and interact with them. Hopefully by doing so, they will know of my faith.

Faith #5 - The Atonement. I am so grateful for the Atonement. What I experience when I allow the power of the Atonement to bless my life is such a perfect sense of love. I am so far from perfect. I have no hope of attaining exaltation by my own strength or knowledge. I need my Savior more than I can explain. I guess that all I can say is that I am so grateful for the Savior. I know that the power of the Atonement is real. It has played a powerful role in my life and continues to do so. The love my Savior has for me is incomprehensible, and I suppose I only come close to understanding it when I recognize the incredible love I have for Nick, Emma, and Ashlyn. Their pain is truly my pain and their joy is my joy, and I know that is how it is Christ. I try and will continue to try to live my life in such a way that I can always demonstrate my gratitude.

1 comment:

Jadi said...

I love the personal progress program. I liked what you said about teaching through example. I think I am going to start doing personal progress too. I love being in YW's. Thanks for sharing your testimony. It was very uplifting.