10/2/08

They're Done!

My pears are done! Whew. That was a lot of work. Several hours and 20 quarts later, I have a good supply of fruit for the winter. I keep thinking about why in the world I can. It's tricky to do with little hands wanting to help so desperately, jars are not cheap, and they really do take a long time to do (at least for me). But you know, I love looking at the final product. In fact, I like looking at it so much that I sometimes have a hard time opening a jar to eat it. Weird, I know. But honestly, my cupboards are so colorful right now. I have apricot nectar, apple sauce, peaches, and pears. Do any of you want to come over for some fruit cobbler? My treat. Next year I want to try green beans, tomatoes, and whatever else comes my way.

Also, my students' papers are graded and returned. I wonder who dropped class since Wednesday. Just kidding. Some of you have asked about my teaching. I love it. I'm just teaching one ENGL 101 course this semester for Idaho State University. It's perfect. It gets me out of the house for just 6-8 hours a week. Even better, I teach during Emma's preschool and Ashlyn's nap, so I don't feel guilty about leaving the girls. The pay isn't too bad either for the time involved. Mostly though, I just love to teach. There's just something about it that gives me a high. Part of it is that writing is a necessary fact of life so it's worth my time to teach, and, well, Nick sometimes teases me that I have a social cavern that must be filled, and teaching seems to help there. What more can I say? I love it.

3 comments:

Jadi said...

I wish I could stop by for some cobbler. Maybe I will have to make some this weekend. It sounds so good! I am glad you are enjoying teaching. I think you would be a fun teacher.

Hamblin Family said...

Way to go. Now the big test-- teach me how to can. We hope to see you guys soon.

Bob G. said...

Hey there. We haven't met so that's why seeing my name will probably be a little wierd at first. However, we are a little related if that helps break the ice a little. Nick and I are second...or third cousins. I'll go with second though if I had to guess. I was just thinking about all the people I knew back in school and thought, "whoa, what's Nick up to these days?" So I finally tracked him down. Well, kind of...I got to your family blog. Anyway, I hope you guys are doing well, it looks like it.
To go along with your post, this was the first year a Wyoming boy like me did the whole canning thing. My wife being from Indiana did it every year growing up. We ended up doing strawberries (froze them), blueberries (froze them), rhubarb jam (canned), pickles, and then we did pears (froze), and apples. We made them into applesauce, apple butter (by far the best of the products) and we tried our hand at apple cider (it looks like we'll have to try again next year). Haha, anyway, it was exhausting and a ton of work, but you're right, it is fun to look at the finished product. Well, tell Nick I said "hi." And I hope we can introduce our families sometime in the future.

our email address is rgrasmick@hotmail.com if you guys want to start a communication line