8/16/10

Relay for Life

Although I didn't take pictures, I need to write a bit about participating in Relay for Life. As soon as I heard that my neighbor and friend Stephani was putting a team together, I signed right up. While her husband has been fighting cancer, they've been incredible examples for me. Participating was one of the most humbling, eye-opening experiences I've had. There were so many people at the track the day of, and I think it happened to be the only day we've been over 100 degrees this summer. There were also luminary bags set up in tribute of those who are or have fought cancer. When night came and the bags were lit, it was a beautiful sight. And then there were all of the people who walked all night. I believe there were 99 teams with at least one member on the track the entire time.

Now I'm far from the best night owl out there. I made it until 2:30 or 3:00 before I set up and disappeared into my tent. I woke up at 6 just as everything was wrapping up. Apparently I somehow managed to sleep through all of the high school bands that played for an hour some time in there.

I'm so glad I had the opportunity to participate. It was a life-changing event. I have family members who have died of cancer. I have neighbors and friends who have fought good fights. It's incredible how far-reaching it is. I've been humbled and have a stronger appreciation for the health of my family as well as myself. I just want to be able to help in some way. This was one small way I could participate.

No comments: