1/24/10

Adenotonsillectomy

Last Friday we loaded the girls into the car at 5:30am and headed to the hospital. It was time to get rid of the tonsils and adenoids. The girls really didn't get it, so they went along great. They each colored in their new Color Wonder books while the nurses did their prep. By the time the nurse came to get Ashlyn, she had her shoes and socks on and held his hand while they walked to the operating room.

Ashlyn in her hospital gown and a tired mommy early in the morning.

Emma calmly watched PBS Kids cartoons while she waited for her turn.

When Ashlyn was done, she had a hard time coming to grips with reality. She's feisty to begin with and was mad that she hurt and didn't know where she was. All I can say is pain killers will do wonders for a kid (if you can get them to take them).

Emma handled coming to a bit better, but she really did not like that IV. She was flat out mad about it. But, painkiller and several popcicles later, she was smiling a bit and ready to go home.

All in all, three days later it hasn't been too bad. The girls have had their moments. Ashlyn wouldn't drink anything at first, but since she got some food in her, she's been fine. Now if she'll just take her medicine without spitting it all over me. Emma's now dealing with an upset stomach, but hopefully that will wear off soon. Right now, they're both sleeping. Here's my Emma while I type. She is complete with her new Webkinz puppy and her balloon.

Looking back, that's a rather terrifying thing to go through as a parent. I hate the thought of the entire process. But if they're going to have surgery, I'm glad it was a routine procedure. After surgery, the nurse brought us the girls' tonsils to show us. I know, gross. But they really were huge. The doctor was rather impressed by them. I'm just glad they're gone and the girls are doing as well as they are. It will be interesting to see how getting rid of them affects the girls.

11 comments:

Jen said...

I'm glad that they are doing well. They will be back to their energetic selves in no time!

Bader125 said...

Yay! I am glad that it went so well. I remember when I got mine out (12) there was a 5 year old right next to me. It took me a while to get going again, but she was happy as a clam. I hope it is the same with you! Love you!

Monica said...

I never knew that their tonsils were causing them such problems. Might as well get them both taken care of as once. You are a wonder mom.

Trevor said...

Two at once?! I'm impressed. Sending Abby into surgery for her dental work and having her come out of the anesethia was one of the hardest mom moments for me. I hope it does make a difference for them and that it went well.

Trish said...

That was me!

Michelle said...

Glad it went well, and at least this way you got them both done! It couldn't have been fun for any over you, and I'm sure you're so happy to be done. Mt brother and sister both had theirs out, and after that they get sick way less often, if ever.

Steph said...

What brave girls you have! I hope this takes care of their problems. The hard part is over...woohoo!

Karen said...

That's sounds like an unfun thing for kids and a Momma!

Shar said...

i hope the girls are doing better! that is scary and hard and unfun...and i'm glad all went well.

:)

jmw said...

Wow, I'm impressed! What troopers you all are! Ok, I have to admit I'm curious. Did you take a picture of the tonsils? any chance of seeing them? Christian needs his out.

Adam and the Girls said...

Poor babies. I am glad to hear they were recovering fine. ~Jeffi