6/21/09

Young Women Trip

I had the amazing opportunity to spend the last two days with my amazing young women. We left bright and early Friday morning and drove to the Humanitarian Center in Salt Lake. We have been working on making quilts for the last several months and were able to donate ten twin-sized quilts. Each of the seven girls that went put a lot of work into those quilts. Most of them had never sewn or tied quilts before this. At the Humanitarian Center we took a touching tour that demonstrated how inspired the humanitarian organization of the church is. I was awed by how far $5 can go, and how generous and loving people are all over the world. Then we packaged hygiene and school kits, opened and sorted 4,000 pairs of children's sleepers, and finished 4 hours of service by tying two more quilts. Whew!


After that we took the girls to the Oquirrh Mountain Temple open house. I loved walking through with my girls. I love them so much and I look forward to seeing them go to the temple themselves some day. I love the spirit in the temple, and I know the girls felt it. It was beautiful.


Our next stop was the Mayan for dinner. Most of the girls had never been there, so it was a special treat. The cliff divers were really good and had everyone in awe.


That night we went swimming at our hotel. We played chicken and shark. We even got the bishop in for a couple rounds of shark, but I learned the hard way not to be the last of the pack swimming across the pool. The bishop accidentally gave me a pretty good kick to the jaw. The swelling is almost all gone. But we played hard and it payed off. The girls were all in bed and asleep by midnight.

The next morning we went to the Heritage Museum by the This Is the Place monument. The girls got to see first hand what life was like in the early pioneer days. They got to work in a woodshop, visit a tin man, beat a rag rug, card wool, dress in old-fashioned clothes, and play pioneer children games. We really had a good time. It was such a great opportunity to feel the spirit over and over and to get to know our girls. I can honestly say that they're my friends. I love each one of them.


When I got home, Nick surprised me with roses on the table, a clean house, happy kids in the tub, and a smile. He's such a great man. I can't imagine my life any different than it is today. Nick is the best husband and father. Today's been rather stressful on him. He was sustained and set apart as our ward's new Elder's Quorum President. When we told his mom, she asked if he was excited. While excited isn't the word that comes to mind, there's no doubt he'll do the best he can to fulfill the calling. I'm so proud of him. I love him. I am so grateful for him. What more can I say. Thank you Nick for being so good to me and the girls. Happy Father's Day!

2 comments:

Monica said...

It looks like you had a really great trip. It's hard to believe that you are old enough to be taking these girls on this trip. It doesn't seem all that long ago that we were going to temple open houses with our YW leaders. Good luck to Nick. That is a busy calling to fill.

jmw said...

awww, aren't callings the best? I got called to my #1 most dreaded calling (RS teacher) and it just took one time and now I love it!! Your group of girls sound great and the trip, wow! and go Nick!