5/26/09

Run-in with a Stray Dog

Sunday proved to be an interesting day for us. I came home from church a bit early (my persistent cold wouldn't let me stop coughing). A few minutes after I got home, I noticed a big, stray dog out my window. Next thing I knew, he had parked himself on my front porch. Every few minutes he would jump up on the door and bark. I ignored him and expected him to go away.

When Nick came home about 45 minutes later, he was still there. Even worse, it decided to guard the house from Nick and the girls. Every time Nick got out of the car, it would bark at him and start tearing around the yard. When Nick told it to get out here, it just got more and more riled. After Nick and I talked to each other through windows, Nick drove off with the girls and I called the dog catcher. While we waited, Nick would drive by every few minutes. Each time the dog saw the car, it would go crazy barking. It took the dog catcher about another 45 minutes to get here, but when he finally did, the dog ran straight to the porch barking. The dog catcher used a 5-foot pole with a loop on the end to catch him.

After that bit of drama, I was glad to feel like I owned my house again and get my girls safely through the door. However, on the way home this afternoon, Emma asked if there would be a mean dog at our house. Crazy animal affected all of us.

5 comments:

Trish said...

How crazy! I'm not a huge fan of dogs anyway and I can just imagine the kids...

Kerri said...

I wish you'd taken a photo of your mean dog.

charlesfam said...

I thought about taking a picture, but the one time I opened my door, he tried to push his way right in.

Jadi said...

What a scary thing to have happen. I am glad everything finally ended up OK. Hopefully you will never have to see that dog again.

Monica said...

That dog did not want anyone bothering you while you were recovering from a cold. You could have used the time to relax and think of him as a blessing. Okay, I'm just kidding. That's pretty funny that it barked at your car.
You are more than wlecome to post a link to my profile. I'm hoping the more people that know, the faster we can adopt. We have a long way to go to catch up with our friend's families.