5/4/09

Enchiladas Suisas

My extended family keeps asking for this recipe. It's a delicious variation on enchiladas. Even my kids love these. We eat them so quickly that I haven't had a chance to get a picture. Hopefully next time.

2 T butter
2/3 c chopped onion
2 T flour
1 1/2 c chicken broth
1 c chopped green chile peppers
1 clove garlic, minced
3/4 tsp salt
1 dash ground cumin
12 flour tortillas
1 c shredded Monterey Jack Cheese
1 c shredded Cheddar cheese
2 c cooked, shredded chicken breast meat
1 c heavy cheam (I use regular milk)
1/4 c chopped green onion

1. Prepare salsa verde. Melt butter in saucepan over medium heat. Saute the onion until soft. Stir in the flour. Add the broth, then add the chiles, garlic, salt, and cumin. Simmer about 15 minutes to blend flavors, then set aside. Preheat over to 350 degrees F.
2. Combine cheeses and keep 1/2 c aside for topping. Dip each tortilla in salsa verde (both sides). Place 2 heaping tablespoons of chicken and about 2 tablespoons cheese down the center of each; roll and place seam side down in a shallow dish.
3. After all the rolled tortillas are in the dish, spoon additional salsa verde over them and then cover evenly with cream/milk. Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 c cheese mixture and green onions.
4. Bake uncovered in preheated oven for 20 minutes. Serve immediately.

Variation: Last time I made these I didn't have green chiles, so I left them out and added 2 oz of cream cheese to the sauce. I also combined the chicken, cheese, and about half of the sauce and didn't bother to dip the tortillas. I poured the remaining sauce and milk over the tortillas before topping with cheese and onions. They still turned out perfectly moist and delicious.

4 comments:

Kerri said...

Ooh thanks. They really are good. I'm going to go start making them right now.

Kerri said...

So, it turned out better when you made them. After 20 mintues, they were very liquidy. After about 10 or 15 more minutes they were much better. But, the tortillas seemed a little doughy. Any suggestions?

jmw said...

Yum, we'll have to try your recipe, it sounds good. We've got a recipe from a Chevy's cookbook that we really like, but it takes a few hours to make and it's hard to be able to do that very often.

Trish said...

I'm excited to try this when I'm eating dairy again. I've made your chicken soup so many times since you posted the recipe because it doesn't bother Bryant and it's so good!