6/10/12

Grandma Hutchens

If you remember a couple of posts ago, I wrote about our trip to Salt Lake. Fortunately, that trip culminated with us stopping to visit Grandma Hutchens. My grandma is an incredible lady who couldn't love her family more.In March, I believe, she had a procedure done to clean out a nearly blocked artery (I'm pretty sure I have that right). The procedure was fairly noninvasive, but Grandma never quite recovered. She was 89 after all.

When we visited, Grandma was on oxygen (which she HATED) and had very little energy. But she was still thrilled to see us and loved that the girls gave her big hugs. She quite enjoyed my belly and talking about her pregnant bellies had practically gone to her knees when she was sitting down, too. She was bright and alert and as excited as ever for visitors. She was counting how many great-grandbabies were being added to the family in the next couple of weeks, and mentally was doing very well. Unfortunately, though, it didn't last long.

A few days later, Mom called me to tell me that Grandma was having a hard time breathing, that her twin sister Elaine (who was staying with her) had called the ambulance, but they didn't think Grandma was going to make it. A few minutes later, I got another phone call from Mom telling me that my Grandma was gone. It's hard to explain that feeling. Grandma could sometimes be a bit difficult. She was rather demanding in her own way, but she loved everyone, gave so much to her family, and was always wanting to do something good for someone. It didn't seem like she could possibly be gone. Grandma has been such a big part of my life for so long.


And yet, I know that my Grandma is where she wants to be. She was widowed twice, the first time when her kids were very small. I believe my dad was only 7. The second time was about 24 years ago. She's been alone a long time. She was ready to be surrounded by those she loved who had gone before her. I am very grateful for my knowledge of what happens after this life, and I know she is happy. I love you and miss you, Grandma. Thank you for always being there for us.

No comments: