7/21/09

Playing in Island Park

Last weekend we took our girls camping in Island Park with my parents and sister's girls. On the way to the campground, we stopped as Mesa Falls. Both girls love waterfalls, so it was a lot of fun watching them enjoy the falls I grew up loving. You're not "allowed" to go down to the river anymore, but the views from the railings were great, too.

Ashlyn was quite the trooper on all the stairs and Emma was the same goofball as ever. After hiking back up the stairs, Ashlyn almost figured out the drinking fountain.

After meeting up at the campground and setting up our tent, we went to Big Springs by Mack's Inn. The mosquitoes were horrific, but the girls had so much fun feeding the huge fish, seagulls, and yes a muskrat. Emma and Ashlyn also loved splashing their feet in the water. I'll have to get pictures from my dad's camera.


That night was actually a success. Emma slept in her tent inside our tent and slept all night. Ashlyn started out in her portacrib and ended up between me and Nick, but she slept very well. Nick and I lost some of our blankets to Ashie, so we got a bit cold and didn't sleep as well as the girls, but all in all, it was a successful trip.

The next morning Nick and I went on a beautiful hike. I've grown up around and in those mountains, but I have never seen wildflowers like there are this year. The rain has been a huge bonus to the undergrowth. Our pictures just don't do justice. Everywhere we looked there were multiple colors and types of flowers. I loved it. I love hiking with Nick. I can't wait until the girls are old enough to hike with us. My amazing sister Kerri and my parents helped watch our girls while we were gone. Next time I'm taking her with me.

1 comment:

Kerri said...

Tonya, we went on a drive yesterday, at your suggestion. The wildflowers were amazing! I picked Rich a boquet of Sego Lilys. They're on my kitchen table and still look beautiful. Okay, maybe I picked them for me. I wish you could have joined us on our two great water ski outings, the trip to Yellowsone, & our hike.