4/2/11

Puppy!

Nick and I have talked about getting a puppy since we got married. Now that Ashlyn is almost four, we figured it was a good time. I wanted something that could be an indoor-outdoor dog so that it would get the attention it needed. That meant we needed something that wasn't too big and didn't shed a lot. When I found pictures of this little guy, I fell in love. He is adorable. He is a cockapoo (or a spoodle) - a cocker spaniel poodle cross. This means he should be about 15-17 lbs, doesn't shed much, and should have low dander. His fur is incredibly soft.


The girls absolutely love him. Even Ash likes him. We're just having her how to treat him. She's a bit happy about having something smaller than her to boss around.

At the end of a busy day, he loves to curl up in my lap to sleep. I rather enjoy it.
He found my nephew's binky and apparently really liked it.

There have been pros and cons. I've never had a puppy before, and I'm doing my best to help him be a good dog. When we first got him, he got really sick. He was throwing up and had really bad diarrhea. Fun stuff, right? I took him to the vet to make sure he didn't have parvo or some other virus or bacteria. He tested all right, but it took him well over a week to start eating well. He got pretty skinny.

On top of that, we're all getting used to having a puppy around. He's HYPER in the mornings and evenings, which adds a bit of awkwardness to those already busy times of day. We're also trying to figure out some discipline methods. After reading up a bit, we're all learning. Hopefully with time he'll be the perfect addition to our family.

With that, if anyone does have any pointers, I'd love to hear them. Wish us luck!

9 comments:

Kati said...

Good luck! There are definitely pros and cons. One thing I would suggest is taking him lots of places and introducing him to lots of people. His comfort level with new situations will help reduce the hyperness. Never allow him to jump on people. Finally, crate train him. This will help with house training and sleep training. Letting him sleep with you can be cute and all, but it's really best that he have his own safe space.

JaNan said...

I have to agree with Kati about crate training. Our new little puppy is learning to love her crate and it's her "safe" spot when the boys get too hyper.

We're trying to train her to ring a bell if she has to go potty but that is still a work in progress. Our other dog Madeline was 2 when we got her and was already trained to come and get us if she needed to go outside.

Socialize is very important take him every where with all kinds of new people and situations when he's young.

So if you ever want to come by for a puppy visit (or just to visit) please do we'd love to let the puppies play and I'm sure Aedin would love to play with your girls.

Sarah R said...

Cute! Good luck with the whole process. No pointers from me, sorry. :)

Sabrina said...

I don't have any puppy advice, although we hope to get one someday. I do have to say though that my grandparents had a cockapoo for years and I loved that dog. It was such a sweet dog, so I am really excited for you and your girls. I am sure they love it.

Jen said...

What a cute dog! I would love to get a dog (and so would the boys), but I'm not sure I'm ready for the commitment :)

Kim said...

which vet do you take her too? Changing diets can also give her the yucky vomiting and diarrhea. Good thing it wasn't Parvo, because that is a very nasty virus, and the outcome usually isn't good. My best advice is to get her shots--either do them your selves or by a vet. Oh, and make sure that you guys are the alpha, by doing little dominance training. Roll her onto her tummy and hold her down for second or two. It will show her that you are the one in charge, and then she won't get nippy with the girls playing with her, or rubbing her tummy.

Kerri said...

Sigh. I don't want a puppy.

Jadi said...

What a cute puppy!! Geoff saw this post and now he wants to buy one. :)

jmw said...

awwwww! so snuggly! and you look great, Tonya!